The implementation of the project of the construction of the 400 kV dual-track power line to connect the power systems of Poland and Lithuania involved planning a line route in an area where such investments have not been made so far. Our task was to obtain a building permit for the construction in the north-east of Poland, which is an area of great environmental value.
For this reason, the project was extremely complex and demanding. As many as 5 route variants were developed, with an emphasis on planning the route in such a way that it had the lowest possible negative impact on the environment and caused the least hindrance to the local community.
Eltel Networks Energetyka SA
Investor: Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne SA
Location: Warminsko-Mazurskie Province and Podlaskie Province
Investment cost: PLN 73.8 million
Completion: 2011 - 2015
- 112 km of 400 kV overhead double-track transmission line
- 299 electricity poles (295 double-track, 4 single-track)
- 154 plots covered by the administrative or judicial proceedings
- 1236 plots covered by the building permit decisions
As part of this project, Eltel Networks was responsible for:
- development of the concept of the 400 kV dual-track power line
- introduction of the line route to the municipal study and adoption of the local zoning plans for the line route
- obtaining the replacement order decision for the line route in one of the municipalities
- acquisition of the environmental approval for the line route
- acquisition of the access rights to properties (1355 plots)
- acquisition of the decisions to exclude lands from agricultural and forestry production
- acquisition of the approval for logging individual trees and forests
preparation of the application for the construction permit including annexes
- obtaining the building permit decision for the construction of the 400 kV double-track power line Elk - the RP border (Alytus direction) for and on behalf of PSE SA - (total number of plots - 1236, line length - 112 km)
- obtaining the building permit decision for the reconstruction of crossed objects (total number of reconstructions – 36)
- preparation of the building permit design for the construction of the 400 kV double-track power line
- preparation of the building permit design for the reconstruction of crossed objects
- establishment of the easement for the purpose of this line before a notary
conducting administrative and judicial proceedings (154 plots), including those to the National Court of Administration.
In the course of our work, Eltel Networks had to face a number of events, the most important of which were:
- the need to obtain the so-called replacement order of the Provincial Governor, as one of the first in Poland, introducing the line route to the planning documents in the Municipality of Bakalarzewo
- providing a reply to the European Commission (as the project was co-financed by European Union funds) on the proper conduct of the proceedings, and in particular on ensuring the active involvement of the local community in the selection of the line route
- work correlation with the Lithuanian side so that both projects could “meet” at the same point on the border between Poland and Lithuania in due time.
A particular challenge was that the new line gave rise to a number of controversies among the local community in the context of establishing its route. An unprecedented event occurred in one of the municipalities (Bakalarzewo) where we had to proceed with the so-called replacement order of the Provincial Governor since the Municipality of Bakalarzewo refused to enter the line into the local zoning plans.
In the end, thanks to the strong commitment of the entire project team, the line route was designed so that the environmental approval was obtained, the property rights were acquired from the landowners and the building permit was finally obtained in a very short time frame, as indicated by the investor, PSE SA.
The final effect of our work was obtaining, for and on behalf of PSE SA, the final building permit decision for the construction of the 400 kV double-track transmission line Elk - the RP border. The permits covered a total of 1236 plots over the entire line length of 112 km. The new line constitutes an important element of the cross-border transmission line (towards Alytus in Lithuania), which has made it possible to connect the power systems of Poland and Lithuania and forms part of the power connection with the Scandinavian countries.